Friday 21 March 2008

Conole et al (2004)

Conole et al. (2004) Mapping pedagogy and tools for effective learning design
1. Who do the authors see as the main audience for this paper?
The main audience appears to be the practioners.
2. What is the main aim of the paper?
To make more transparent the links between pedagogical theories and e-learning methods; to suggest a model for assessing how current teaching and learning practice could be adapted to make best use of available technology for relevant theoretical perspectives.
3. Fit the readings from the course into Table 1 of the Conole et al. paper?
Mmmm…do they ‘fit’? I could only see two obvious links.
Wegerif and Mercer – socially situated learning – ‘…the joint construction of knowledge in the classroom…’
Roschelle – Activity based (with the focus on ‘…convergence…’) or perhaps ‘…socially situated…’ (re the use of language) or experiential (re experience as a foundation for learning).
This may be a learning point – yes, we can use any theoretical perspective, as long as it is justified.

The model maps the six components - Individual; Social; Reflection: Non reflection; Information; Experience, or the three dimensions – information/experience, reflective/non-reflective and individual/social.
I was concerned about ‘skills learning’ being classified as ‘non-reflection’; maybe unconscious reflection would be fairer, as I see a lot of vocational learning and the passing on of tacit knowledge under the guise of ‘skills’.
I like the ideas of these dimensions and a form of classification; but I found the idea of a ‘cube’ difficult to grasp and an octahedron even more challenging. Perhaps I am used to seeing models of a more linear or 2-D nature. I would see a ‘shape’ of the categorisation more along the lines of


So, theory A might be plotted where this symbol (?) is and have the shape of an uneven arrow.
Not sure what makes me see this more clearly like this, but I am sure there will be a theory about it!
As I found it difficult to see specific theories of learning in each reading, it was again challenging to try to fit readings with the theories. For Wegerif and Mercer, I looked at collaboration, with the characteristics of teacher explaining, exploratory talk, problem solving, sharing information, whole class discussions. I saw these as highlighting the social and experience aspects most strongly, but it could be possible to view a pre and post view of these, which may highlight the other aspects more strongly, when information is given. Perhaps many courses of teaching and learning would be seen in this light and that may be part of the learning journey.

I do agree that in trying to incorporate or expand technology use in any course will be dependent on the design of particular activities, students’ prior knowledge, tutor personality (and skills mix?), group dynamics, learning styles and preference. I also note the author’s comments on the weakness of the model in terms of it being very subjective; however, surely much in teaching is?
As far as developing my own ‘taxonomy’ of learning theories, my first thought is that ‘It’s all been done before’; any phrases I come up with would necessarily be taken from some previous description of types. It would be along the lines of continuums of ‘in the head’ to ‘out there’; ‘passive’ to ‘active’ and perhaps ‘linguistically determined’ to ‘multi-sensory’. This would be a fascinating activity to spend more time on, but – guess what? – no time! It is the last day of week 7 and I feel I have worked non stop on this for two days and I still have another reading to review and analyse. Wish the Easter bunny would come and take me way….

No comments: